Read Write Extension for Chrome
According to the Texthelp website, the Read Write Extension for Chrome provides support tools for the web and common file types accessed through Google Drive including Google Docs, Google Slides, PDFs, ePubs, KES files, and webpages. Just look for the purple puzzle piece icon to launch the toolbar. Several popular UDL tools can be accessed on the toolbar: text-to-speech, speech-to-text, highlighting, audio dictionary, picture dictionary. annotate over PDF and the screenshot reader.
Get the extension
- TEACHERS Sign Up for Free to Receive the Professional Version of the R/W Extension (Click the link)
- Complete the form. In the field that asks for your administrators email, enter your principal's information.
- Check your email. If you received a confirmation from the company, follow the directions for installing the extension.
- If you did not receive the email after completing the form above, install these three extensions below (You must complete the FORM first to have access!). Accept the permissions that appear during installation. You will have the full version of the extension.
- Still don't have access? Try these tips:
- Check to see that the email address you use to sign into Drive and Chrome is the same as the email address that you used to sign up for the program with.
- If you have the same email address, please refer to this document for more troubleshooting: http://bit.ly/2Fd52Sd
- STUDENT Sign Up for the Read & Write extension
- The student MUST have an IEP or 504 with reading and/or writing goals and accommodations.
- No ACT referral is needed. Simply complete the form if your students meets criteria in #1.
- Screencast 1: Using the extension with Google Drive documents
- Screencast 2: Using the extension with a webpage
- Screencast 3: Using the Screenshot reader for images
- Screencast 4: Using the Screenmasking Tool (51 seconds)
- Screencast 5: Using the Read Aloud Feature (1 min 44 sec) Note: This is a free feature. You do not need a paid license to access it.
- Screencast 6: Using the Screenshot Reader on a PDF to read text that does not "read" with the play feature (Note: this is only if you do not have access to the TextHelp PDF reader extension that works with R/W.
- Screencast 7: Using the PDF Reader extension with R/W.
- Read Write For Google Chrome Quick Reference Guide (Broken down by toolbar view)
- Labeled Toolbar PDF
- Quick Dictation Strategies
- R/W Tools Aligned to the Writing Process PDF
- FCPS R/W Online Training Module - independently become and expert
- Training at your school? Click for the R/W Extension Training Module
- ISSUE: I can't install the extension because the button to allow permissions is blocked at the bottom of my screen.
- ISSUE: My student has the R/W extension installed and we don't see the purple puzzle piece in the upper right hand corner of Google Chrome.
- Make sure the student is logged into the computer as themselves.
- Be sure the student is logged into Chrome: Screencast